We had far too many lemons in our fridge. And too many lemons can only mean one thing. A really zesty, really lemony, lemon drizzle cake! If I’m going to have a lemon cake it has to be really zingy and zesty, and well… lemony.
To make this cake you will need:
- 3 eggs
- 170g self raising flour
- 170g caster sugar
- 170g butter
- zest of 3 lemons
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp poppy seeds (optional)
For the drizzle:
- Juice of 2 1/2 lemons
- 110g icing sugar
- Simply mix all the cake ingredients together in a bowl until smooth and creamy looking. Then place into your greased tin.
- Put in the centre of a hot oven at 180 degrees and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- While the cake is baking make the drizzle. Simply mix the icing sugar and the lemon juice together until it’s really smooth and there’s no lumps.
- After about 25-30 minutes give your cake a check. Use a skewer (or something like the end of a teaspoon) to check that the cake is cooked all the way through. If the skewer comes out clean then the cake is cooked.
- Make holes all over the cake for the drizzle to seep through. Pour the drizzle over while the cake is still hot and you’re done!
What could be simpler and easier?