There are many places in Peru you can chose to see the Amazon rainforest from; we opted for Iquitos, the largest city in the World which is unreachable by road. Our journey would see us take a 4 day boat journey to Iquitos, before venturing further into the forest.
Our first step in our Amazon adventure was to travel by bus for 20 hours from Mancora to Yurimaguas. This involved several bus changes but fortunately the staff at the bus office we went to in Mancora were super helpful. To get to Yurimaguas from Mancora we took a bus from Mancora to Sullana, then onwards to Tarapoto. This was followed by a 2 1/2 hour collectivo (like a taxi) to Yurimaguas.
The journey from Mancora to Yurimaguas
This was the last of our super long bus journeys in South America. It was made to feel even longer thanks to the bus randomly stopping, with no explanation or reasoning. I suppose we should’ve been used to it by then!
There was some excitement though. Our bus was pulled over by the police!
The police came aboard, scanned down the list of passengers and dragged one guy off to their police car. They then came aboard again and asked for another man. No one answered to the name so the police asked for everyone’s ID until they found him – if only we’d known more Spanish to hear what the other passengers suspected as the reason behind the arrests!
The rest of the journey was fairly uneventful and on arrival in Yurimaguas we were swamped by taxi drivers before we’d even stepped off the bus. From here we were driven to the port and able to negotiate with people in order to get ourselves a boat trip to Iquitos.
The humidity of the Amazon got to us straight away. It was a sort of sweat-while-you-stand-still type of heat that we were to deal with for the next week!
Want more Peru travel ideas?
- Travel diary: our four days in Lima
- Parque de la Reserva
- Our failed bus journey
- Peru Hop: Lima to Paracas
- Best things to do in Lima, Peru
- VIDEO: Adventures in Peru
- A guide to hiking the Salktantay Trek
- Peru: more than Machu Picchu
- Treking to Machu Pichu the Salkantay Way (Days 1-3)
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Colca Canyon Day One
- Colca Canyon Day Two
- Paracas to Huacachina
- PERU HOP REVIEW: Huacachina to Arequipa
- A guide to Lake Titicaca & the floating islands of Uros
- How To Get To Machu Picchu & Your Definitive Guide.
- Piranha Fishing in the Amazon
- Everything You Need To Know For Travelling To Iquitos By Boat
- Pocitas Beach & Mancora
- Travel Diary: Sailing from Yurimaguas to Iquitos
- 5 Of The Best South American Beaches
- Travel Diary: A homestay in El Chino in the Amazon Rainforest