This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click an affiliate link and buy something, that website will give me a tiny bit of money to say thanks for sending you to them. There is NO extra cost to you. This applies to Amazon links, as well as others, and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on
We awoke at 5.30 in the Colca Canyon, wolfed down what seems to be the standard breakfast in hostels of bread and jam, and got back on the bus. This morning we were off to see the condors fly – huge birds that are over a metre tall, have over over a 3m wing span and can weigh up to 12 kilos.
Along the way we stopped to get some pictures with alpacas and try some local fruit from the cactus. It looked a but like a kiwi but was extremely sour. Later on we tried it as an ice cream, which I really liked: the fruitiness of a sorbet, but the creaminess if ice cream. Shame we can’t grow it back home!
The Cruz Del Condor is a must for anyone visiting the canyon, judging by the amount of people there I think a stop is included on all canyon tours. We were lucky enough to watch around 10 condors gliding above and in front of us when we arrived. They’re huge birds and enjoyable to watch for a while.
Our journey back to Arequipa took about three hours, most of which as spent asleep. I was awake long enough though to see one of the volcanoes with loads of smoke coming out of it as if it had just erupted!
Arequipa and the Colca Canyon probably weren’t stops we would had made if we hadn’t chosen Peru Hop to travel with. They’re definitely stops worth making though if you’re ever thinking of travelling to the area!
Want more Peru travel ideas?
- Travel diary: our four days in Lima
- Parque de la Reserva
- Our failed bus journey
- Sky kitchen: A Peruvian cooking class
- Peru Hop: Lima to Paracas
- Best things to do in Lima, Peru
- VIDEO: Adventures in Peru
- A guide to hiking the Salktantay Trek
- Peru: more than Machu Picchu
- Treking to Machu Pichu the Salkantay Way (Days 1-3)
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Colca Canyon Day One
- Colca Canyon Day Two
- Paracas to Huacachina
- PERU HOP REVIEW: Huacachina to Arequipa
- A guide to Lake Titicaca & the floating islands of Uros
- How To Get To Machu Picchu & Your Definitive Guide.
- Piranha Fishing in the Amazon
- Everything You Need To Know For Travelling To Iquitos By Boat
- Pocitas Beach & Mancora
- Travel Diary: Mancora To Yurimaguas
- Travel Diary: Sailing from Yurimaguas to Iquitos
- 5 Of The Best South American Beaches
- Travel Diary: A homestay in El Chino in the Amazon Rainforest