The journey from Huacachina to Arequipa is a long one. You leave at 1.30pm and arrive at 5.00am. Peru Hop make a couple of stops along the way to break it up a bit, and the buses have reclining seats and DVDs to keep you entertained.
Stop 1: Pisco tasting
Our first stop was at a vineyard to taste some Pisco and see how it’s made.
We’d learnt earlier on our journey that Chile and Peru have a big rivalry when it comes to Pisco, both believing that it comes from their country. The debate even got taken to court, where Peru came out on top. After a quick tour round the vineyard we got to try a range of drinks. Sweet wines, then two types of Pisco, and a Pisco mixed with honey, milk and maca (which is now a super trendy food but was unheard of in the UK in 2014!), which was by far my favourite. The straight Pisco did not go down well!
Stop 2: Nasca Lines viewing tower
Our second stop was the Nasca Lines viewing tower.
I guess I imagined something that would take ages to walk up, and seemed more of a tourist attraction. In reality the tower was tiny, just on the side of a road and looked as if it was run by a family more than anything.
The patterns themselves aren’t that easy to make out, but when you take in to account the mystery behind their creation, they’re still impressive.
Arriving in Arequipa
The next morning, after not a huge amount of sleep we arrived in Arequipa, known as Peru’s white city.
Arequpia is surrounded by mountains and volcanoes giving it an attractive back drop. We didn’t have much time to explore the city though as we’d booked ourselves on to a two day Colca Canyon tour where we’d explore the canyon and some of the villages that call it home.
The parts we did see of Arequipa the following evening were pretty. The main square looked great in the light, but perhaps even better once the sun had gone down, due to the way it was lit up.
Want more Peru travel ideas?
- Travel diary: our four days in Lima
- Parque de la Reserva
- Our failed bus journey
- Sky kitchen: A Peruvian cooking class
- Peru Hop: Lima to Paracas
- Best things to do in Lima, Peru
- VIDEO: Adventures in Peru
- A guide to hiking the Salktantay Trek
- Peru: more than Machu Picchu
- Treking to Machu Pichu the Salkantay Way (Days 1-3)
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Colca Canyon Day One
- Colca Canyon Day Two
- Paracas to Huacachina
- PERU HOP REVIEW: Huacachina to Arequipa
- A guide to Lake Titicaca & the floating islands of Uros
- How To Get To Machu Picchu & Your Definitive Guide.
- Piranha Fishing in the Amazon
- Everything You Need To Know For Travelling To Iquitos By Boat
- Pocitas Beach & Mancora
- Travel Diary: Mancora To Yurimaguas
- Travel Diary: Sailing from Yurimaguas to Iquitos
- 5 Of The Best South American Beaches
- Travel Diary: A homestay in El Chino in the Amazon Rainforest