This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click an affiliate link and buy something, that website will give me a tiny bit of money to say thanks for sending you to them. There is NO extra cost to you. This applies to Amazon links, as well as others, and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Last Updated on
I think I’ve found my favourite beach ever.
We flew from Buenos Aires back to Lima and got straight on a 17 hour bus journey to Mancora in the very north of Peru. Possibly the nicest bus we’ve been on – great reclining seats with its very own ‘bus hostess’, who walked up and down serving drinks and food.
Before coming to Peru I’d never heard of Mancora, but travellers all over the place had been talking about this surfers’ paradise with beautiful beaches, 30 degree heat all year round, zero humidity and a cooling breeze. It sounded perfect.
We spent five days doing nothing not much more than sitting under parasols, reading, sipping on milkshakes and slathering on the factor 50.
After three days in the beach in the centre of Mancora we headed over to Pocitas beach, a 15minute drive away by mototaxi.
Pocitas is often referred to as Peru’s most beautiful beach, it wasn’t hard to see why. Golden sand stretched on for miles in both directions. Brazil seems to receive the most attention for its beaches, but Pocitas beach is by far my favourite South American beach. It was almost completely deserted, no backpackers from Loki Hostel (party hostel) talking about last night’s conquest. Just clear blue sky and the right amount of wind to keep you cool.
We listened to the gentle crashing of the waves, watched the birds dive into the sea, fish jump out of the sea, crabs scuttle over the sand as the tide came in and tried to capture the beauty of the sunset.
Want more Peru travel ideas?
- Travel diary: our four days in Lima
- Parque de la Reserva
- Our failed bus journey
- Sky kitchen: A Peruvian cooking class
- Peru Hop: Lima to Paracas
- Best things to do in Lima, Peru
- VIDEO: Adventures in Peru
- A guide to hiking the Salktantay Trek
- Peru: more than Machu Picchu
- Treking to Machu Pichu the Salkantay Way (Days 1-3)
- Machu Picchu, Peru
- Colca Canyon Day One
- Colca Canyon Day Two
- Paracas to Huacachina
- PERU HOP REVIEW: Huacachina to Arequipa
- A guide to Lake Titicaca & the floating islands of Uros
- How To Get To Machu Picchu & Your Definitive Guide.
- Piranha Fishing in the Amazon
- Everything You Need To Know For Travelling To Iquitos By Boat
- Pocitas Beach & Mancora
- Travel Diary: Mancora To Yurimaguas
- Travel Diary: Sailing from Yurimaguas to Iquitos
- 5 Of The Best South American Beaches
- Travel Diary: A homestay in El Chino in the Amazon Rainforest