I’d done a little bit of research and seen that the Devil’s Garden Loop in Arches National Park seemed like the one to do. It was the longest, had loads of arches to see and (apparently) the most difficult. I love a good hiking challenge.
The National Park Service says that “The Devils Garden Trail leads you between sheer walls of sandstone fins”. That sounded pretty cool to me.
Hiking the Devil’s Garden Trail
The hike is 7.2 miles in total (11.5km) and although parts of are steep and you need to clamber over the odd rock here and there, it’s really not too challenging.
The first part of the hike is paved until you reach Landscape Arch. After this the hike is what’s described as “primitive”. This means there’s no paved trail and you can expect to have to work your way around slick rocks and drop offs.
You don’t need to worry about getting lost at all. There are plenty of signs and enough people around that you can’t go too far wrong. But, having said that, there are plenty of times you’ll be walking and not see anyone around you. It’s pretty perfect.
Here are the arches you pass on the Devil’s Garden Trail
Double O Arch
Dark Angel (not an arch but a pretty cool rock)
You can do the following two at the beginning or the end of your hike
Pine Tree Arch
We didn’t get a picture of this one but here’s what it looks like:
Where to stay near Arches National Park
You’re most likely to be either camping near Arches or staying in a hotel in Moab. Take a look at my guide to Moab if that’s where you’re basing yourself while visiting Arches National Park. Here’s a few suggestions of top hotels near Arches National Park.
Camping near Arches National Park
If you’re camping in an RV or didn’t manage to get a camping spot at Arches National Park then take a look at Up the Creek campground. It’s a campground in Moab which is within walking distance of the best restaurants and shops in the town. Here you’ll get hot showers, proper toilets and more – luxury camping!
Want more Utah travel ideas?
- The ultimate adventurer’s Guide to Moab, Utah
- The best half day hikes in Arches National Park
- Things to do in Arches National Park in one day
- Best Arches in Arches National Park
- A guide to Canyonlands National Park
- A packing list for Canyonlands National Park
- What to see and do in Canyonlands National Park
- The best hikes to do in Canyonlands National Park
- 16 of the best things to do in Zion National Park (Including a SECRET hike!)
- Hiking the Angel’s Landing in Zion National Park
- The best things to do in Bryce Canyon National Park
- The best National Park I’d never heard of in Utah