This post may contain affiliate links. This means that if you click an affiliate link and buy something, that website will give me a tiny bit of money to say thanks for sending you to them. There is NO extra cost to you. This applies to Amazon links, as well as others, and as an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Florida has a different feel to many other US States. It just feels like a holiday state (side note: I always want to type “Floriday” a combination of Florida and holiday!). The sun is pretty much always shining which is one of the best things about Florida (except for the day we cut a hole in our van roof and it poured with rain before we’d seeled it…), and there are so many things to do in Florida! I’ve put together this Florida bucket list which is perfect for some inspiration for a Florida trip. It’s broken down into different areas of the state and I’m sure this list of fun things to do in Florida will keep you busy for many trips!
Ultimate Florida bucket list
This Florida bucket list is full of fun Florida attractions and things to do including some of Florida’s natural wonders, and what to eat in Florida! This bucket list Florida blog is arranged by the cities you get to as you come down the east coast from north to south, and then loop back out along the west coast of Florida. I hope you enjoy this bucket list for Florida!
Bucket list Jacksonville
The most populated and largest city in Florida, Jacksonville, of Jax, FL, is home to sandy beaches, eco-adventures and beautiful natural surroundings. Here are some of the top things to do in Jacksonville, FL.
- Visit Little Talbot Island State Park and explore the vast beaches, forests, dunes and spot some wildlife.
- Stay in Downtown Jacksonville’s North & South banks to enjoy the nightlife and restaurants in Jacksonville.
- Browse the art at the Cummer Museum of Art.
- Go sunbathing on Jacksonville and Neptune beaches.
- Browse the Riverside Arts Market on Saturday and get some new art pieces.
- Go biking on the A1A Ocean cycling trails.
- Explore Hanna Park and the 15 miles of trails along the ocean shore.
Bucket list St. Augustine
The beautiful city of St Augustine, Florida is known for its Spanish colonial architecture as well as Atlantic Ocean beaches. like sandy St. Augustine Beach and tranquil Crescent Beach. Anastasia State Park is a protected wildlife sanctuary. The Castillo de San Marcos is a 17th-century Spanish stone fortress with views of the St. Augustine Inlet.
- Explore the sandy St. Augustine Beach and the peaceful Crescent Beach.
- Visit St George Street for shopping and dining and to explore boutiques and historical sites.
- See the historical items from the Victorian period at The Lightner Museum.
- Explore the historical landmarks in the Old City.
- Know the history of early Spanish St. Augustine at the Old Florida Museum.
- Visit Anastasia State Park to wander through the wildlife sanctuary.
- See the Castillo de San Marcos, a 17th Century Spanish stone fortress with views of the St. Augustine Inlet.
Daytona Beach bucket list
Daytona Beach on the Atlantic Coast is home to boardwalks and beaches. Quiet in the winter, it comes alive in the warmer months for holiday makers and party-goers.
- Enjoy the 23 miles of white-sand beaches. Ideally with a good book!
- Listen to live music at the Daytona Beach Bandshell stages which host free summer concerts.
- Watch the Daytona Nascar 500 race in February at the Daytona International Speedway.
- Enjoy ‘spring break’ with other students.
- Head to the top of the 175ft tall Ponce de Leon Inlet Lighthouse.
- Spend a day doing the Daytona Beach Ale Trail!
- Explore Tomoka State Park and Bulow Creek State Park by bike.
- Head to Blue Spring State Park and look for manatees.
Orlando Florida bucket list
Known for its many, many theme parks, Orland is perhaps the most popular holiday destination in Florida; especially for families. But it’s not all about Disney World. There’s plenty of unique things to do in Florida and Orlando that don’t involve theme parks.
- Tour Kennedy Space Centre. Time your visit with a planned rocket launch!
- Head to Ocala National Forest and hike a section of the 1,300 mile Florida National Scenic Trail.
- Enjoy the refreshing waters of Alexander Springs by floating down them.
- Visit Hogwarts at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.
- Go to The Old Spanish Sugar Mill Grill and Griddle House where there are pancake griddles at every table to make your own!
- Explore the whole world in a single day at Epcot.
- Get a taste of Hollywood experience at the Universal Orlando Resort.
- See the Disney fireworks over Cinderella’s Castle.
- Cycle the West Orange Bike Trail and taste the foodie delights including: bread, chocolate, juice, and beer from the Crooked Can.
Bucket list Cocoa Beach
Just south of the Kennedy Space Center is the town of Cocoa Beach which is best known for its beach and surf breaks.
- Learn to surf!
- Or just learn about surfing at the Florida Surf Museum.
- Go to the Astronaut Memorial Planetarium & Observatory to explore the night sky.
- Eat fresh seafood on the famous Cocoa Beach Pier.
- Do some bird watching at Lori Wilson Park.
West Palm Beach bucket list
Along Florida’s Atlantic Ocean coast, West Palm Beach has sandy beaches and some of the nation’s nicest waterways.
- Time your visit for SunFest – Florida’s largest waterfront music festival.
- Visit West Palm Beach Green Market and taste local homemade produce.
- Go paddleboarding at Palm Beach.
- Enjoy the shopping and dining in Downtown West Palm Beach.
- Visit the Mounts Botanical Garden to see over 2,000 species of tropical plants.
- Explore the sculptures at the Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens.
Bucket list Fort Lauderdale
With 23-miles of golden beaches, Fort Lauderdale is full of outdoors activities, hotels, restaurants and shopping.
- Spend the day snorkelling on the Lauderdale-By-The-Sea snorkel trail and come face to face with sharks and barracuda!
- Go fishing off the Deerfield Beach pier.
- Enjoy the views from the Hillsboro Beach lighthouse.
- Relax on one of the many beaches, each one with its own vibe.
- Go paddleboarding along the canals through the city.
- Take in Greater Fort Lauderdale’s history and surround yourself with tropical flora and fauna at the Bonnet House Museum & Gardens.
- Learn about Indigenous history at the Big Cypress Seminole Indian Reservation.
Miami Bucket list
Miami is one of Florida’s – and the world’s – most popular vacation spots. There’s something for everyone and here are some of the best things to do in Miami.
- Visit the iconic Miami Beach with the colourful lifeguard huts.
- Go skateboarding or rollerblading along the Miami Beach Boardwalk.
- Drive Ocean Drive (ideally in a convertible with the roof down!).
- Explore Jungle Island.
- Enjoy a food tour in Little Havana.
- Head to the historic Venetian Pool; the largest freshwater pool in the US. There are two Mediterranean-inspired lookout towers, grottos, waterfalls and a bridge! You’ll feel like you’re in Venice!
Key West and Florida Keys bucket list
At the tip of Florida and closer to Cuba than the continental US is Key West. This scenic drive down the Florida Keys is well worth doing to access some of the more hidden things to do in Florida.
- Enjoy the scenic road trip from Miami to Key West. Full Florida Keys road trip guide here!
- Head out to Dry Tortugas National Park to explore Fort. Jefferson.
- Stroll down Duval Street, listen to buskers and explore the shops.
- Watch the sunset from the tip of the Florida Keys
- Eat Key Lime Pie!
- Snorkel at John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park; the first underwater state park.
Bucket list Naples
Known for high-end shopping and golf courses, the city of Naples has the Naples Pier, first erected in 1888, as its symbol. The city is a popular fishing and dolphin-spotting destination.
- Take a self-drive tour of Everglades National Park.
- Watch the only Swamp Buggy Races in the world.
- Explore Fifth Avenue South Third Street South for shopping in the historic downtown area.
- Take a fishing trip!
- Visit Corkscrew Swamp Sanctuary to see the wetlands, pine Flatwoods, a marsh, and a wet prairie.
- Head out to Bowman’s Beach to find colorful seashells and shark teeth!
Bucket list Tampa Bay
The heat of Florida’s Gulf Coast, Tampa Bay has a beautiful waterfront, world-class chefs and a century of Cuban culture.
- Watch the hockey team; Tampa Bay Lightning play.
- Enjoy a day at the Adventure Island Water Park with 30 acres of water adventures!
- Watch the beer makers in action (and drink some too!) at Big Storm Brewing company.
- Enjoy a relaxing afternoon at Clearwater Beach.
- Stroll along Tampa Riverwalk.
- Head out to Three Sisters Springs on the Crystal River. Watch the wildlife or go kayaking and paddle boarding!
St. Petersburg bucket list
Not to be confused with St. Petersburg in Russia, St Petersburg, FL has beautiful, award-winning beaches and plenty of things to do.
- Visit the Salvador Dali museum.
- Enjoy the sun from the beach in this city that holds the record for “most consecutive days with sunshine” at 768 days!
- Rent a kayak near the Dunedin Causeway to reach pristine Caladesi Island State Park – explore lush mangrove tunnels, then beach your boat for an almost-deserted island experience.
- Head to Weedon Island Preserve in north St. Pete to explore Riviera Bay and the South Paddling Trail with its mangrove canopy.
- Walk the boardwalks at Boca Ciega Millennium Park.
- Go fishing at Skyway Fishing Pier State Park.
- Visit the Chihuly Collection on Central Avenue to witness mind-blowing glasswork.
The State Capital of Florida, Tallahassee has plenty of fun things to do and see!
- Visit Florida Caverns State Park to see limestone stalagmites and stalactites.
- Enjoy outdoor and recreational amenities at Cascades Park.
- Relax on the white sand beaches at St. George Island.
- Explore and enjoy the nightlife at the nightclubs and bars.
- Go to Torreya State Park to immerse yourself in nature with hiking and camping opportunities.
Bucket List Pensacola
Pensacola is the last big city you reach as you head west out of Florida. It’s also where we lost our passports during our big 3 month America road trip!
- Explore the Gulf Islands National Seashore Park.
- Wander around Palafox Market to shop local food and art.
- Explore Big Lagoon State Park by canoe or kayak.
- Visit Panama City Beach and St. Andrews State Park known for the emerald green waters and white beaches. Go hiking or kayaking, then search for colorful shells along the beach.
- Visit the Pensacola Lighthouse (if you’re not afraid of ghosts!).